MBP 23. GETTING REAL ABOUT MALE MASCULINITY - KALEO SELAH
Join our growing MBP Facebook Community, Check us out at Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Subscribe to The ManBits Podcast on the topic “getting real about male masculinity” on Apple Podcasts or on Android.
Today on The Man Bits Podcast, Paul interviews Kaleo Selah, a graduate of Stanford University who’s been in the corporate world and athletics. He’s a public speaker, author, musician, life transition coach, and business owner. With the experience he has, he’s built a framework which invokes energetic performance in teams and in individuals.
Tune in as Kaleo shares with us the reason why and how he transitioned into living an integrated life, what biggest challenge his clients are facing, what the 3 levels of behaviour are and learn The 5Ms delivered in his Dragon Performance Coaching.
Podcast Show Notes:
- Introduction to The Man Bits Podcast
- Join our Facebook Community
- Paul welcomes Kaleo to the show
- Kaleo has been in Adelaide for 9 years
- Kaleo originates from Nebraska
- He played football in the US
- He married early and had children
- He went into banking and retired at 31 years old
- Kaleo always wanted to help people so he decided to make it his life
- “It began just by talking to people”
- Coaching is a part of Kaleo’s integrated life
- Integrated life for Kaleo is to help people with everything he does
- “Quality of life cannot be an add on onto your life”
- Men have been programmed by society to segment and separate parts of their lives
- Kaleo talks about his transition from corporate to his integrated life
- He created a new level of context to look at the contents of life in a different perspective
- The Constant vs The Variable
- Depression is one of the biggest challenges men Kaleo work with are facing
- “There is a lack of authentic connection”
- Kaleo shares about The Ghost of Man
- 3 Levels of Behavior
- Sheep – looks for something to follow
- Bull – looks for something to destroy or protect
- Shark – looks for something to eat
- “There is no returned energy generation for the traditional man paradigm”
- Stop the internal dialogue
- The deep hidden internal conflict is something every human has
- People have to feel DISCOMFORT if they want to get real with themselves
- “Stop looking outward, start looking inward”
- Context = Beliefs
- The QUALITY of your BELIEFS are important!
- The Middle Bits
- What is your #1 tip in achieving kickass mind health? – “Absolute opportunity perspective”
- What fundamental piece of advice would you tell your 15-year old self? – “Don’t be so serious, man”
- “We have to be able to manage change”
- Kaleo shares The 5 Ms of their practice
- Motivation – lives in the gap between current experience and other possibilities
- Mindset – the basis of mindset is being stuck in a problem perspective or moving in an opportunity perspective
- Movement – the active connection
- Momentum – 1 ounce of energy = 10 outputs
- Maintenance – the more I use the system, the smarter it gets
- Kaleo’s parting advice: Stay engaged, remain engaged
- Feel the pain and let that motivate you to take the next step
- Check out Kaleo’s New Normal Course on his website
- Connect with Kaleo on Facebook
- Discomfort is the key to getting real with yourself.
- Stop looking at the external world for motivations.
- Don’t choose isolation — stay engaged, remain engaged.
- Kaleo’s website
Join our Community, ask questions, share feedback
- Join our growing MBP Facebook Community
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow Paul @themanbits on Twitter
- Follow Follow @themanbits on Instagram
- Email feedback@TheManBits.com (short audio files welcome)
Disclosure: This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship and may receive compensation from your actions through such links. However, I don’t let that corrupt my perspective and I don’t recommend only affiliates.
Disclaimer: Some of the content of this podcast may contain topics of a sensitive nature such as depression, anxiety and suicide. Whilst I have experience in coaching, training and remedial therapy I’m not to provide mental health advice or counselling. Therefore, engaging with the content of this podcast should not be considered a substitute to professional therapy.
GET THE INSIDE STORY
Join the growing community and receive podcast updates to your inbox
We respect your privacy